“Morning Harbor” 30x22 watercolor on gessoed paper by Mark Mehaffey
The Baltimore Watercolor Society is pleased and excited to host Mark Mehaffey in a four-day workshop from Tuesday, June 2, 2015 through Friday, June 5, 2015 at the Hawthorn Center in Columbia, MD. Mark will also jury the 2015 Mid-Atlantic Watercolor Exhibition hosted by BWS.
ABOUT MARK MEHAFFEY
Nationally recognized artist Mark E. Mehaffey is a signature member of the National Watercolor Society, the American Watercolor Society; DF, Transparent Watercolor Society of America; Signature Life member-Master Status, Watercolor West and the Rocky Mountain Watermedia Society, and Louisiana Watercolor Society Signature Life Member.
Mehaffey has won major awards in juried exhibitions across the country including the Beverly Green Memorial Purchase Award from the National Watercolor Society, the Silver Medal of Honor and the Arches Paper Co Award from American Watercolor Society, the M. Grumbacher Gold Medal from Allied Artists of America, and the Skyledge Award from the Midwest Watercolor Society. Mehaffey's work has appeared in many publications; most recently in The Best of Watercolor, Splash 5-The Glory of Color, Splash 10-Passionate Brush Strokes, Splash 11, Places in Watercolor and as a featured artist in a step by step guide and showcase, Creative Watercolor, Rockport publisher.
Mark’s paintings are included in corporate, private and museum collections. Among his many awards are the Silver Medal of Honor from the American Watercolor Society and the Shanghai Zhujiajiao Watercolor Biennial Award, the top award in the TWSA and the top award in The San Diego International. Mark is the author of “Creative Watercolor Workshop” by North Light and is a popular juror, he was honored to serve as a juror of election for both the American and National Watercolor Societies.
This will be a split workshop: the first half will cover working from a photo reference, value plan and color options; the second half of the workshop will cover working experimentally and intuitively using abstract imagery.
Participants will create paintings using the elements of shape, line, value and color to simplify subject and use a variety of color plans to create emotion and mood. Discussion of content, the importance of color schemes and line quality will also be discussed.
Participants will also work intuitively with shape, color, line and especially texture to produce an abstraction with a personal focus and a representational work based on personal reference choices. There will be both group and individualized instruction with time set aside for critique.
This is a fast moving, fun, mixed water media workshop where we all learn nd share. All levels are welcome as long as everyone is comfortable with their materials.
Mark's Recommended Material List and and advance preparation instructions will be posted here and emailed to registered students in advance of the workshop.
NEW RESTRICTED REGISTRATION PROCESS: READ CAREFULLY!
- The price for the workshop is $350 for BWS members (Signature Artists and Associates) and $400 for non-BWS members.
- The class size is limited to 20 people, and the workshop cannot be split with another person.
- Registrations for this workshop will open on February 7, 2015 for BWS members. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Registrations for two other 4-Day BWS workshops to be held in 2015 will also open on February 7. Ted Nuttall - April 27-30 and Laurie Goldstein-Warren - October 19-22).
- From February 7 until February 14, BWS members may register for ONLY one of these 4-day workshops. This is to help ensure that more BWS members are able to get into at least one of the longer workshops in 2015.
- On February 14, registration for all three 4-day workshops - Nuttall, Mehaffey, Goldstein-Warren - will be open for all BWS members to register for any open spots in any of the 4-day workshops.
- On February 28, registration for any remaining open slots will be open to the public.
CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS
- BWS maintains a workshop waiting list for BWS members for workshops which are filled or restricted. When openings occur, BWS fills the openings from the waiting list on a first-come, first-served basis.
- BWS adds names to the waiting list according to the date and time BWS receives the email request.
- You can join the waiting list if a workshop is filled.
- You can also join the waiting list during the restricted registration period of February 7-14 if you wish to register for a second or third workshop.
- You can't join a waiting list before registration opens on February 7, 2015.
- Email Rob@TalbertFineArt.com to join a workshop waiting list.
- Paid registrants who cancel before May 2 will receive a full refund less a $25 cancellation fee if the spot can be filled from the waiting list. If the spot cannot be filled, the amount refundable is 80% of the workshop price.
- Paid registrants who cancel after May 2 will receive a full refund less a $50 cancellation fee if the spot can be filled from the waiting list. If the spot cannot be filled, no refund will be given.
- Questions and requests to be added to the waiting list can be directed to Rob Talbert (BWS Workshop Chair) at Rob@TalbertFineArt.com.
The Hawthorn Center is located in the community of Hickory Ridge in Columbia, Maryland:
6175 Sunny Spring
Columbia, MD 21044-5623
Tel: (410) 730-7327
Doors open at Hawthorn Center: 9:30 AM
Workshop instruction begins: 10:00 AM
One hour break for lunch
Workshop instruction ends: 4:30 PM
Hawthorn Center closes and doors are locked promptly at 5:00 PM
Freeze Frame by Mark Mehaffey