I have been painting watercolors for fourteen years. Art has always been a part of my life. When I was young, ballet, tap and jazz dancing was my creative outlet. I was a dancer in the Rochester Academy of Performing Arts dance troupe until the age of 18.
Later on my creative path took me to hair styling. I opened my own salon in New York and competed in fantasy hair competitions. I loved these particular shows because you had to create something never seen before, more avante garde than styles you would see on the street.
When I moved to West Virginia in 1998 and found myself in the countryside, I went back to one of my first creative loves, art.
After many years of studying the art of watercolor with some fantastic teachers and mentors, I have been so fortunate to have found success in this field. My artwork has been shown all over this country and was exhibited in China last year. I now enjoy teaching my limited palette techniques in portrait workshops and jurying exhibits around the country.
I found my voice in art… find yours….Create!
WORKSHOP TOPIC AND FORMAT: DYNAMIC POURING
Laurie will teach intermediate and advanced watercolorists her approach to dynamic pouring.
The workshop will utilize a limited watercolor color palette along with acrylic paints in the same colors. Using a limited palette helps students expand their painting skills and learn to unify color harmony while still achieving a full value range and full spectrum of warm and cool colors in different saturations. Laurie will demonstrate pouring and a variety of finishing techniques, and she will work with students one-on-one to explore these techniques in their own paintings.
Students may use any subject for this workshop: figures, still life, floral, wildlife, landscape or any other subject.
Laurie's Recommended Material List and and advance preparation instructions will be posted here and emailed to registered students in advance of the workshop.
- The price for the workshop is $285 for BWS members (Signature Artists and Associates) and $325 for non-BWS members.
- The class size is limited to 20 people, and the workshop cannot be split with another person.
NEW RESTRICTED REGISTRATION PROCESS: READ CAREFULLY!
- Registrations for this workshop will open on February 7, 2015 for BWS members. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Registrations for two other 4-Day BWS workshops to be held in 2015 will also open on February 7. Ted Nuttall - April 27-30 and Mark Mehaffey - June 2-5).
- From February 7 until February 14, BWS members may register for ONLY one of these 4-day workshops. This is to help ensure that more BWS members are able to get into at least one of the longer workshops in 2015.
- On February 14, registration for all three 4-day workshops - Nuttall, Mehaffey, Goldstein-Warren - will be open for all BWS members to register for any open spots in any of the 4-day workshops.
- On February 28, registration for any remaining open slots will be open to the public.
- BWS maintains a workshop waiting list for BWS members for workshops which are filled or restricted. When openings occur, BWS fills the openings from the waiting list on a first-come, first-served basis.
- BWS adds names to the waiting list according to the date and time BWS receives the email request.
- You can join the waiting list if a workshop is filled.
- You can also join the waiting list during the restricted registration period of February 7-14 if you wish to register for a second or third workshop.
- You can't join a waiting list before registration opens on February 7, 2015.
- Email Rob@TalbertFineArt.com to join a workshop waiting list.
CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS
- Paid registrants who cancel before September 19 will receive a full refund less a $25 cancellation fee if the spot can be filled from the waiting list. If the spot cannot be filled, the amount refundable is 80% of the workshop price.
- Paid registrants who cancel after September 19 will receive a full refund less a $50 cancellation fee if the spot can be filled from the waiting list. If the spot cannot be filled, no refund will be given.
- Questions and requests to be added to the waiting list can be directed to Rob Talbert (BWS Workshop Chair) at Rob@TalbertFineArt.com.
The Hawthorn Center is located in the community of Hickory Ridge in Columbia, Maryland:
6175 Sunny Spring
Columbia, MD 21044-5623
Tel: (410) 730-7327
Doors open at Hawthorn Center: 9:30 AM
Workshop instruction begins: 10:00 AM
One hour break for lunch
Workshop instruction ends: 4:30 PM
Hawthorn Center closes and doors are locked promptly at 5:00 PM